Friday 12 February 2016

Floral gig/festival make up / spot/partial facepainting

So I was simply in the mood to facepaint one night a while back and my housemate Lou expressed an interest in being my volunteer, so we cracked a bottle of wine, put some tunes on and faffed about with some facepaint.
My starting concept was simply "Paisley" (the print, not the town)

I wanted to make sure it was colourful- complementary tones but with highlights, so I picked out a bunch of colours I thought I might use, which on retrospect were a tad too many, but it was fun and open still at this point, I didn't have a clear idea of what it would end up looking like, just a rough starting point; a curved teardrop shape around the eye.


So I began free-styling on my model and housemate Louise. Presented here in all her bare-faced glory (pretty much)


I had to keep tilting her head up as my light source was ceiling spotlights - rather than trying to affect a classic flattering pose, but still, win win I guess..

So the free-styling began:

It was interesting to see where the lines I painted lay on her face, particularly above or below the eyebrow, it looks re-contoured.


It helped a lot that Lou's eyebrows were so pale and fine when it comes to painting over them, I really will have to get a better method of covering thicker ones down!


At this point I couldn't help feel that it was missing some stronger tones but wanted to be car full with how much black I introduced. 
The answer was re-lining Lou's eyes.


And as she's a performer and partygoer that meant the finishing touch: glitter. Glitter Everywhere!


Think she was pretty chuffed with the overall result!


Given the talking, drinking wine and music-listening casual tone of this facepainting episode, I have to say it must've taken a good 45mins to do, but I think if I went back to do it again, could probably bosh it out in half the time?










No comments:

Post a Comment