Friday 12 February 2016

Deatbeats Gig Make-up: House of Vans Party, London

So this project was born out of need to produce gig makeup for my samba punk drumming band for a comic-book themed private party we'd been booked to play at the House of Vans venue in London.

Concept: Sin City/comic 2D/Frank Miller/Greyscale

So the closest source image I wanted to base it on was this:

But a little bit less Roy Lichtenstein..

So I'd had to freestyle a last minute template for the dot work, so it would appear more uniform, from some back-to-backed coloured stationary stickers (or rather, their edges, not the dots themselves.) swiped from work due to forgetting the one I'd made earlier...as I'm a doofus.

Also in another dramatic turn of events, our coach driver, it transpired much later, had suffered a heart attack on his way to get us, so in waiting for so long, we managed to rustle a couple of vans up and drove ourselves, but that meant significantly less time in doing everyone's makeup. Therefore the method had to be adjusted and simplified to be done in half the time so it's a little slapdash - but all things considered I managed to turn out a few good ones with the help of a team I bullied into helping (the stars!!).

Here's the results: (There was NO time to snap picks in the frantic rush to get the paint on ASAP)


I did Janes makeup (below, on the left)



Would like to revisit this one again with the band, but with significantly more time of course! I do think the concept was achieved nonetheless, though not to a standard I was happy with. Still, it's all a learning curve!






 



No comments:

Post a Comment